Wrights & Co
Cheque issued by London, Henrietta Street branch of Wright & Co, 14 April 1830 © RBS 2016
Wrights & Co (1699-1840), established in London, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established as the goldsmithing business of William Wright in 1699 in Covent Garden, London. By 1708 the business was conducted by Richard Wright and from 1729 by Anthony Wright. Between 1729 and 1754 the firm moved to premises at the sign of ‘The Golden Cup’, Henrietta Street, Covent Garden. In 1759 Anthony Wright first appeared on a list of London bankers.
In 1775 Wright took his son into partnership. From 1785 the firm traded as Anthony Francis & Thomas Wright and from 1786 as Francis & Thomas Wright. By 1816 the firm was known as Wright, Wright, Wright, Selby & Robinson and later as Wright & Co. In 1813 it became known as Wrights & Co. The firm failed in 1840. Its premises were acquired by Commercial Bank of London.
- FG Hilton Price, A Handbook of London Bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1876)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Wrights & Co have the reference code WRI.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- customer letter and statement of account 1826
- cheque 1830