Pretor, Pew & Co
Image: £20 note of Sherborne & Dorsetshire Bank, 16 February 1792 © RBS 2018
Pretor, Pew & Co (c.1740-1843), established in Sherborne, is a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in about 1740 as Simon Pretor & Co. It was styled Pretor, Pew, Whitty & Pretor in 1792 and Pretor, Pew & Whitty in 1797. Simon Pretor and Samuel Whitty were postmasters and Richard Pew was a surgeon. It was also known as Sherborne & Dorsetshire Bank. The firm's partners and name changed several times and in 1843, when known as Pretor, Pew & Co, it was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England.
Detailed list of name changes
- Simon Pretor & Co. from c.1740
- Pretor, Pew, Whitty & Pretor in 1792
- Pretor, Pew & Whitty in 1797
- Pew, Whitty & Gill by 1812
- Pretor, Pew, Whitty & Chandler by 1820
- Pretor, Pew & Chandler by 1821
- Pretor & Chandler by 1839
- Pretor, Chandler & Penny by 1840
- Pretor, Pew & Co by 1843
Also known as Sherborne & Dorsetshire Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Pretor, Pew & Co have the reference code PEW.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- cash book 1773-6
- banknotes 1792
- ledger 1793-1824
- letterbook 1794-1805
- plan of Simon Pretor’s estate 1798
- receipt 1813
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Dorset History Centre: cash book of Simon Pretor 1773-6, personal ledger 1793-1824, letterbook 1795-1804 (Ref: MIC/R/12)