Dundee New Bank
Dundee New Bank (1802-38) was a past constituent of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Dundee New Bank was formed in 1802 in Dundee as a co-partnership to acquire the business of Dundee Commercial Banking Co. It had a capital of £58,000 divided into 29 shares of £2,000. It had seven partners - John Baxter, James Scott, George 7th Baron Kinnaird, William Morland, James Duff and James and William Bell - only two of whom had been involved with the original bank. It had a note issue of over £200,000 by the end of 1805, with around half that sum in circulation. It opened branches in Brechin (1802), Forfar (by 1803), Montrose (1805) and Arbroath (by 1810). Its London agents were Ransom Morland & Co. It was reformed in 1806 with a capital of £52,000 and acquired by Dundee Banking Co in 1838.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Dundee New Bank have the reference code DN.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- deed of declaration 1802
- private book, incl. regulations, minutes, copy letters, accounts and other papers 1802-38
- balance sheets 1803-5
- co-partnership contract 1806
- balance books 1806-36
- papers re legal action against James and William Bell c.1807
- petty cash book 1827-38
- deposit receipts 1836-8
- cheques n.d