Berkshire Union Banking Co | RBS Heritage Hub

RBS heritage hub


Berkshire Union Banking Co

 

Berkshire Union Banking Co (1841-1852), established in Newbury, was a past constituent of NatWest.

 

Brief history

This joint stock bank was established in Market Place, Newbury, in 1841 as County of Berks Union Banking Co, with a capital of £200,000. It appears to have changed its name to Berkshire Union Banking Co in the early 1840s. By 1852 the bank had branches in Abingdon, Wantage, Reading, Windsor and Wallingford. In 1852 the bank was taken over by London & County Banking Co.

Branches: By the time of the bank's acquisition in 1852 it was operating 5 branches.

 

Summary of our archive holdings

Our archival records of Berkshire Union Banking Co have the reference code BER.

  • cheque forms n.d., c.1840s
Set Tab for lightbox