Bank of Glasgow
Bank of Glasgow (1843-1844) was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland.
This joint-stock bank was promoted in Glasgow in 1843 as Bank of Glasgow – one of the last such promotions in Scotland. Little is known about the bank, except that the promoters and subscribers were almost immediately attracted to a merger proposal from National Bank of Scotland, which was keen to gain a foothold in Glasgow. In 1844 it was acquired by National Bank of Scotland, its subscribers purchasing £500,000 in that bank. Later in 1844 a second and separate Bank of Glasgow was promoted.