The safety of our colleagues and customers is always a top priority for the bank. Our Security teams work round the clock to ensure RBS is a safe place to work, with plans, processes and controls in place.
- This year, we delivered 112 security awareness seminars and events for around 8,373 customers, staff and industry partners.
- During 2017, criminals using spoofed RBS email domains attempted to send 9.86 million phishing emails to our customers and as a result of new controls deployed by the bank 98% of these were blocked from delivery.
- We delivered awareness campaigns to help keep our customers safe and secure. These included Think before you click, where we provided simple tips to prevent ransomware maliciously encrypting computer files and preventing access unless a fee (ransom) is paid.
- In the fight against scams, we are a founding partner with the National Trading Standards Scams Team on their Friends Against Scams initiative. Launched in 2016, the campaign is encouraging individuals to become more aware of how easily they could become a victim, and learn how to protect themselves. Friends Against Scams has also provided training for more than 20,000 colleagues, including our Chief Executive Ross McEwan.
- We delivered a Dementia Awareness Training course accross our Personal and Business Banking employees and now have 16,000 Dementia Friends across our frontline. This awareness training helps colleagues to identifiy customers with cognitive impairments and to proactively help prevent them becoming victims of fraud.
- We sponsored a British Standard Specification, aimed at helping the sector raise it's standards in protecting customers from fraud and scams. The BSI PAS 17271 has been adopted by and incorporated into the Joint Fraud Task Force Victims and Susceptibility work stream, which was published in October 2017 to create a sector benchmark and guidance within the industry.
- We introduced real-time text and email alerts when customers enrol and re-enrol for online banking. This is to help reassure customers and notify them of possible fraudulent activity.
- We have improved the visibility of our Security Centre across all of our websites and introduced improvements to our search engines to help customers find security-related information easily.