Helping a customer buy and own a home is one of the most significant things we can do for them. Additionally, supporting our customers if they have trouble paying can make a significant difference to their lives.
Mortgage highlights 2018:
- We have helped over 175,000 new customers complete their mortgage application this year, totalling over £30 billion worth of lending.
- Over 45,000 of these customers were first-time buyers. (*)
- New mortgage applications through our online channel increased by 38% year on year
- In 2017, we became the first bank in the UK to offer a fully paperless, digitised mortgage journey. More than 90% of our organic customers are taking advantage of this service.
- This year 203,000 customers have chosen to stay with us and renew their mortgage deal.
- 61% of customers chose to renew their mortgage online this year, that’s a 9% increase on 2017.
- We have made renewing a deal even easier by allowing customers to do it through a broker, increasing their choice of channels.
- We have reduced our minimum switcher balance to help more people switch to a fixed rate at the end of their current deal.
- Following on from last year, we have continued our focus on helping interest-only customers, proactively contacting 23,000 of them and offering help with planning out how to repay their loan at the end of term.
- This year we have also focused on helping vulnerable customers at risk of being financially stretched should their monthly payments rise.
- Proactively contacting customers on Standard Variable Rate (SVR) who may be financially stretched should there be a base rate increase.
- Proactively contacting customers coming to the end of a fixed term who are at risk of being financially stretched should they roll off to SVR.
- So far we’ve written to 3,400 customers and this strategy will continue into 2019.
Home repossession is always a last resort for RBS. It is our policy to only go ahead with repossession after all alternative solutions have been considered, including assisted voluntary sale.
In 2018, we repossessed 430** properties, compared with 484** in 2017.
(*) Limited assurance provided by Ernst & Young LLP.
(** total includes both Personal & Business properties).
Awards for our mortgage lending
Financial Adviser Service Awards 2016
- 5-star rating
- Most Improved Lender (NatWest Intermediary Solutions)
- No.1 Mortgage Lender
Your Mortgage awards
2016 - 17
- Best Bank for Mortgages
- Best First Time Buyer Mortgage Lender