The investments will concentrate on the bank's digital services to make it easier for customers to bank while on the move, and accompanies bank-wide moves to improve the resilience of NatWest and RBS systems.
Improvements will include:
- Customers will be able to view and amend regular payments, and track their Cashback Plus reward balances, on their mobile without using online banking
- Integration of the personal and small business banking mobile apps so customers with both types of account can see and make transactions in both via one app
- Online Banking will be more intuitive for customers, tailoring content to the individual
- More than 400 branches will be upgraded across the UK, fitted with new technology, including iPads, to register for and access Online Banking. Customers will also be offered free Wi‐Fi access to use their own digital devices in branch
- Almost 100 new ATM locations will be introduced across the UK, including in railway stations, to increase the number of places customers can access their cash
- Nearly 600 new Cash and Deposit machines (CDMs) will be placed in branches for customers, enabling quick and easy paying in of cheques, cash and coins
- Improved systems will allow staff to see all of a customer’s interactions with the bank, enabling them to understand the customer’s situation and advise them better
The focus of the bank’s investment is driven by a dramatic increase in customers’ use of online and mobile technology for banking, which has grown by over 200% in the last three years.
Les Matheson, CEO of Personal and Business Banking, said: “Our customers’ needs are rapidly changing: they want to bank day‐to‐day in the most convenient ways available. We must respond to their needs and continue to improve on the service we offer both online and on mobile.
“Our branch network also plays an important role in delivering a great service for our customers. We’re investing in branches to make it easier for customers to have good conversations with our staff when they need our help, and in our processes so banking with us is simple and straightforward.
“A bank that customers feel they can trust is a bank they look to when they need to make bigger financial decisions, such as buying their first home or starting a business. My business challenge is simple. I need to make changes to the way we do business so that our customers do more business with us.”