The new hires include the appointment of Filip Beuls, Global Head of Yen Delta Trading; Tetsuya Kobayashi as Head of Capital Markets Department I (covering international bond issuance and Samurais) and Yoshihito Yoshimura as Head of Capital Markets Department II (covering domestic JPY bond issuance).
Ernfred Olsen, Country Executive, Japan, said of the three appointments, "These are excellent hires for our Japan business, demonstrating the depth of talent we attract and our commitment to our operations in the country".
Filip Beuls is based in RBS Securities Japan Limited Tokyo Branch and reports to Jezri Mohideen, Global Head of Delta EMEA / APAC Trading. He will be focussing on reinforcing our existing strong market position in Japanese government bonds (JGB) and Yen interest rate swaps (IRS) and expanding the customer franchise domestically and globally. Mr. Beuls joins after a fifteen year career at Deutsche Bank, most recently as an Interest Rate Derivatives Trader. As a part of this role he moved to Tokyo in 2003 to trade the Yen options book and in 2006 was also given responsibility for the Yen swaps book.
Jezri Mohideen said, "Filip Beuls' appointment is significant for the Group. His extensive experience and drive will be of great benefit to the business, helping us maintain and strengthen our top product positions in Japan".
Mr Kobayashi and Mr Yoshimura are also based in RBS Securities Japan Limited Tokyo Branch and report to Theodore Lo, Head of Debt Capital Markets, Japan. Mr. Kobayashi brings twenty five years of experience in banking, nineteen of these aligned to Debt Capital Markets in The Fuji Bank, Mizuho Securities and most recently HSBC Securities (Japan) where he held the role of Head of Debt Capital Markets for three years. Mr. Yoshimura has also spent twenty five years in banking; he held senior roles in Debt Capital Markets with Credit Suisse Securities, Japan for eight years and most recently held the role of Head of Capital Markets, Tokai Tokyo Securities.
Mr Lo said, "Kobayashi-san and Yoshimura-san bring a wealth of experience to RBS Debt Capital Markets in Japan and have been involved in a number of high profile deals. They have built excellent relationships in Japan which will greatly benefit our business".
Japan is one of RBS's six global trading hubs. RBS Securities Japan Limited has firmly established itself as one of the strongest foreign players in the Japanese fixed income market, consistently ranking in the top five at JGB auction. RBS Japan has been primary dealer for the JGB market since October 2007.
RBS's top local rankings include:
- Euromoney FX Poll 2011 – ranked No.4 for all products in Japan, with 8.12% market share
- JGB Auction Rankings MOF Quarterly Results - Top 3 foreign bank (full year 2010)
- JGB auction overall ranking (duration basis) 2nd half of 2010, actual ranked 8th in total and 3rd among foreign firms
- Super long-term JGB auction ranking 2nd half of 2010, actual ranked 8th in total and 4th among foreign firms
- Ranked 3rd (and 1st among foreign firms) in the auction rankings of government guaranteed bonds (FY2010)
- RBS Japan ranked top 5 in all Asia Risk Institutional Rankings 2010
- RBS is currently #1 in MTN & Structured Notes -JPY Vanilla EMTN League Table (year-to-date)
Key DCM transactions executed in Japan YTD in 2011 include:
- RBS acted as Joint Lead Manager for a total of JPY 50bn, 1yr, 1.5yr and 2yr Woori Bank Samurai transactions
- RBS acted as Joint Lead Manager for JPY 52.5bn of 4yr RBS Public offering transaction