In this new role he will relocate from India to lead the RBS franchise in Singapore, one of six global trading hubs for RBS. This appointment is in addition to his existing responsibilities as Head of Global Banking & Markets (GBM) for India and Head of Global Banking for South East Asia. Singapore is currently the regional hub for Fixed Income, Currencies and Commodities (FICC) Trading and Sales; Credit Risk Management; and Global Transaction Services. In addition, Singapore houses RBS Group's Asia Operations Centre, which provides infrastructure support globally.
Commenting on the appointment, John McCormick, Asia Pacific Chairman for RBS said: "Singapore is a key hub in RBS for serving clients across South East Asia and around the globe. Madan's new responsibilities demonstrate our appetite for capturing and capitalising on the tremendous intra-regional business opportunities across Asia and RBS' focus on building our wholesale and investment banking franchise in Asia."
Matthew Kirkby, Global Head of Corporate Finance and Head of Global Banking for Asia Pacific, added: "I am delighted to have Madan in Singapore to lead the Indian and South East Asian banking business. With more than 20 years of strong and diverse banking experience, Madan will be invaluable in driving the Bank's investment banking franchise from Singapore, across India and South East Asia, to take it to the next level."
Mr. Menon will report into Mr. McCormick and Mr. Kirkby. He joined RBS in 2007 as Head of GBM India from Barclays Capital where he was co-CEO for India. Prior to that, he was Head of Corporate Banking for the Eastern region at American Express Bank, India where he started his banking career in 1989. Mr. Menon's diverse experience covers debt capital markets, equities capital markets, corporate banking, M&A, FX, and fixed income trading.
As a well-established leading foreign bank in Singapore with more then 150 years history in the city-state, RBS has built a strong wholesale banking platform in Singapore. The franchise covers debt and equities capital markets; merger & acquisitions (M&A) advisory; risk management; trading activities across fixed income, currencies, commodities, equities, derivatives and options; as well as cash management and trade finance.
RBS has led a number of its landmark transactions out of Singapore, including Temesak's inaugural sterling bond issue; Fortis Healthcare's acquisition of Parkway Holding in Singapore from TPG Capital and subsequent stake sale to Khazanah, and more recently, OCBC Bank's USD500 million first ever Non Step-up Callable Lower Tier 2 bond transaction. Recent awards demonstrate the strength of the franchise in India, Singapore and across South East Asia. These include:
- Reliance Holdings' USD1.5 billion dual-tranche bond, where RBS acted as joint bookrunner, has won Best Investment Grade Bond from Finance Asia and Asiamoney
- Khazanah's acquisition of Fortis Healthcare's stake in Parkway Holdings, which RBS acted as Financial advisor to Fortis, has won Best Private Equity Deal from Finance Asia and Best Cross-Border M&A, Best Singapore Deal from The Asset Magazine
- Cagamas MYR1bn sukuk ALIm, which RBS acted as Joint Lead Manager, has won Islamic Deal of the Year from IFR Asia and Malaysia Deal of the Year from Islamic Finance News
- Best M&A Deal from Finance Asia for KNOC's USD2.8 billion acquisition of Dana Petroleum
- Best M&A Deal of the Year from The Edge Malaysia for the Tanjong Privatisation
For more information:
Tan Ping Ping
Public Relations Manager, South East Asia
Tel: +65 65188497/+65 98458904
Head of Marketing & Communication, India
Tel: +91 22 66372574 / +91 99 20978134