W & S Evans & Co
W & S Evans & Co (1771-1887), established in Derby, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1771 as Thomas Evans; it was also known as Derby Bank. By 1780 Thomas Evans' sons, William and Walter, had joined the partnership, which became Thomas Evans & Sons.
The bank was subsequently known as Evans & Co by 1800; Walter, William & Samuel Evans by 1829; W & S Evans by 1846; and W & S Evans & Co by 1877.
In 1877, when the partners were Walter Evans, John Evans and Henry Evans, cotton spinners and paper makers, the bank merged with Crompton, Newton & Co of Derby and Crompton, Newton & Co of Chesterfield to form Crompton & Evans' Union Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of W & S Evans & Co have the reference code EVA.
- cheque book and cheque form 1857