Swann, Clough & Co
Swann, Clough & Co (1771-1879), established in York, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in Stonegate, York, in 1771 as Garforth & Co; it was also known as York Bank. By 1780 the partners were Garforth, John Raper, John Clough and Thomas Swann and it was known as Garforth, Raper, Clough & Swann. The firm moved to Spurriergate in about 1782. The bank was named Garforth, Raper, Swann, Clough & Swann by 1796; Raper & Co by 1800; Raper, Swann, Clough, Swan, Bland & Raper from 1820; and Swann, Clough & Co from 1824. In 1879 the bank got into difficulties and was acquired by Beckett & Co of Leeds.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Swann, Clough & Co have the reference code SWA.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- promissory note 1780
- journal of John Swann, wine and cloth merchant 1798
- cheques and cheque forms 1813, 1850s
- banknotes 1873-4
- liquidation report and balance sheet 1881
- watermarked banknote paper n.d.