Sparkes & Co
Sparkes & Co (c.1806-1829), established in Crewkerne, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in Crewkerne in around 1806 by Samuel Sparkes and Mr Gildey, linen and worsted manufacturers, as Sparkes & Gildey. It was also known as Crewkerne & South Petterton Bank. The bank issued its own banknotes and was known as Sparkes & Co by 1810 and Samuel Sparkes & Isaac Sparkes & Co by 1829. The bank had a branch in Chard from around 1823 to 1829.
Sparkes & Co suspended payment in 1829, due to speculation in the local lace and sail cloth trades, and was acquired by Stuckey's Banking Co of Langport.
- PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Sparkes & Co have the reference code STW.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- banknote 1815
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
Cornwall Record Office: Customer receipt 1823 (Ref: X603/64)