Sir Samuel Scott Bart & Co
Alexander William George Duff, 1st Earl of Fife (1849-1912), partner in Sir Samuel Scott Bart & Co, 1912 © RBS 2016
Sir Samuel Scott Bart and Co (1824-94), established in London, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1824 as Sir Claude Scott Bart, Williams & Co by Sir Claude Scott, a merchant. The bank traded from temporary premises at 26 Holles Street, Cavendish Square, London, and initially based its business on trade derived from Marsh, Stacey, Fauntleroy & Graham (est. 1792), bankers of Berners Street, London, which failed in 1824. In 1826 the firm moved to 1 Cavendish Square, which was refurbished by the architect Sir Jeffry Wyatville. The bank was known as Sir Claude Scott Bart, Dent & Co from 1827; Sir Claude Scott Bart & Co from 1829 to 1847; and as Sir Samuel Scott Bart & Co by 1847 (despite the death of Sir Claude Scott in 1830). In 1894 the firm was acquired by Parr’s Banking Co & the Alliance Bank Ltd of Warrington and London.
- F G Hilton Price, A handbook of London bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1876)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Sir Samuel Scott Bart & Co have the reference code SCO.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- private ledger 1824-32
- cheque 1873
- cheque forms, incl. printer’s proofs n.d.
- cheques and cheque book 19th cent.
- banker’s order form 1876
- lease of premises 1884
- customer letter 1894
- inventory of fittings and furniture 1894