Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White
The banking firm of Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White (c.1796-1835), established in Wincanton and later based in Yeovil, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established as Henry Whitmash & Richard Brown in Wincanton in about 1796. It was known as Whitmash & Co by 1805, Whitmash & White by 1811 and Henry Whitmash & William Lambert White by 1813.
In 1808 the bank opened a branch in Yeovil and from then it was also known as Yeovil & Wincanton Bank. The Wincanton business may possibly have closed in 1818. In 1835 the bank was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co, but the trading name was retained until 1837.
- PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)