Dorrien, Magens, Mello & Co
Dorrien, Magens, Mello & Co (1770-1842), established in London, was a past constituent of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
This private bank was established in 1770 as Dorrien, Rucker & Carleton at 22 Finch Lane, City of London. The bank was acquired by Curries & Co in 1842, with an agreement to pay the partners an annuity based on the annual value of deposits and commission earned from their former customers.
Detailed list of name changes
- Dorrien, Rucker & Carleton from 1770
- Dorrien, Rucker, Dorrien & Martin from 1776
- Dorrien, Mello & Martin from 1779
- Dorrien, Magens, Mello & Co from 1794
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Dorrien, Magens, Mello & Co have the reference code DM.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- partnership agreements 1814, 1828
- private account books 1806-36
- unpaid bills of exchange 1810-41
- annual audited balance sheets 1820, 1824-7
- discount and note account books 1820, 1824-7
- receipts re Wandsworth Saving Bank debentures 1820-38
- post book 1824-9
- bill book 1840-1
- correspondence from customers: 1785, exchequer bills 1819-25, merger with Curries & Co 1841-2
- customer account ledgers 1800-1, 1815, 1818, 1820
- customer bonds 1811, 1827
- correspondence from overseas correspondents 1812-20
- papers re sale of a mortgaged property in Woodstock 1813
- personal papers of Rev John Peel 1817-35: source overview (PDF 22KB)
- personal papers of Thomas Robert Andrews 1815-23
- agreement re assignment of bills of exchange 1815
- correspondence re securities held for advances 1818-20
- standing order instructions from customers 1823-40
- details of salaries and Christmas money payments 1820, 1824-7