Dixons & Co
Image: cheque form of Messrs Dixons & Company, 1878 © RBS 2018
Dixons & Co (1813-78), established in Chester, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established as Dixon & Co in 1813 by Thomas Dixon, a local collier. The bank may have been a reformation of the Shrewsbury bank Rowton, Rordkin & Marshall (est. 1808), also known as Chester & Shrewsbury Bank, which had failed during the financial panic of 1810.
The bank's partners were Thomas Dixon, Thomas Dixon, William Dixon & William Wardell by 1846; Thomas and Ambrose Dixon and William Wardell from 1860; Thomas Dixon, Ambrose Dixon and Robert Nicholson from 1870; and Thomas Dixon, Ambrose Dixon, Robert Nicholson and Thomas Henry Dixon from 1876.
Dixons & Co was acquired by Parr's Banking Co in 1878.
Detailed list of name changes
- Dixon & Co from 1813
- Roscoe, Clarke, Dixon & Co by 1815
- Dixon & Chilton by 1819
- Dixons & Wardell by 1829
- Dixons & Co from 1846
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Dixons & Co have the reference code DIX.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- customer account ledger 1813-9
- customer account passbooks 1814-43
- cheques 1815, 1878
- cash balance book 1849-69