Dixon, Brooks & Dixon
Cheque form of Dixon, Brooks & Dixon, 1844 © RBS 2016
Dixon, Brooks & Dixon (c.1788-1859), established in London, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in Chancery Lane, London, in about 1788 by Richard Master, Edward Dawson, George Brooks, John Kirton & Ralph Clayton. In 1791 Dixon replaced Ralph Clayton as junior partner and the firm was named Master, Dawson, Brooks, Kirton & Dixon.
In 1859 the business, and some staff, were transferred to Union Bank of London, which opened a branch bank at 13 Fleet Street to carry on the business.
Detailed list of name changes
- Master, Dawson, Brooks, Kirton & Clayton c.1788
- Master, Dawson, Brooks, Kirton & Dixon 1791
- Dawson, Brooks, Son & Dixon from 1802
- Brooks, Son & Dixon from 1814
- Brooks & Dixon from 1819
- Dixon, Langdale, Dixon & Brooks from 1825
- Dixon, Son & Brooks from 1831
- Dixon, Brooks & Dixon from 1836
- FG Hilton Price, A handbook of London Bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1890)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Dixon, Brooks & Dixon have the reference code DBD.
- cheques 1840-4