Chasemore, Robinson & Sons
Image: cheque of Union Bank of Croydon, 1844 © RBS 2018
Chasemore, Robinson & Sons (1838-1891), established in Croydon, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established by George Chasemore, John William Sutherland and Thomas Leedham Robinson in 1838. Robinson was formerly the manager of London & County Bank’s Croydon branch. By 1840 the bank was called Sutherland & Co, but was also known as Croydon Union Bank and Union Bank of Croydon.
In about 1850 Sutherland left the partnership, which continued with just the Chasemore and Robinson family partners; by this time, Henry Chasemore and William Mosse Robinson. The business became known as Chasemore & Robinson, and later Chasemore, Robinson & Sons.
In 1891 the bank was acquired by Union Bank of London.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Chasemore, Robinson & Sons have the reference code CHA.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- cheques and cheque forms 1844-1886
- partnership agreements 1863, 1873