Charles Allen Young & Son
Charles Allen Young & Son (1795-1849), established in London, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1795 at 37 The Borough, London, as Weston, Pinhorn, Golding, Newsome & Weston. In about 1835 the bank moved to 6 Wellington Street. In 1847 Henry Weston retired and his partner, Charles Allen Young, assumed control of the bank. In 1849, after the death of Young’s son, the bank was sold to London & Westminster Bank of London. This was possibly the first example of a joint stock bank taking over a private bank.
- Robert & William Clement from c.1760
- Weston, Pinhorn, Golding, Newsome & Weston from 1795
- Weston, Pinhorn, Newsome & Weston from 1808
- Weston, Pinhorn & Weston from 1817
- Sir John Pinhorn, Weston & Son from 1819
- Weston, Young & Bostock from 1825
- Weston & Young 1831-47
- Charles Allen Young & Co 1847-1848
- Charles Allen Young & Son 1848
- FG Hilton Price, A Handbook of London Bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1876)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Charles Allen Young & Son have the reference code YOU.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- bill of exchange register 1799
- cheques 1826, 1833