Cave, Ames & Cave
Bill of exchange drawn of Cave, Ames & Co, 1793 © RBS 2016
Cave, Ames & Cave (1786-1826), established in Bristol, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This private bank was established in 1786 as Ames, Cave, Harford, Daubeny & Bright. Its founding partners were Levi Ames, drysalter; John Cave, merchant; Joseph Harford, china maker; George Daubeny, sugar refiner; and Richard Bright, banker. It was also known as Bristol New Bank, and later as Bristol Bank.
The bank was acquired by Elton, Baillies, Tyndall, Palmer & Edwards in 1826.
Detailed list of name changes
- Ames, Cave, Daubeny & Bright 1798-1800
- Ames, Daubeny, Bright, Cave, Daniel & Ames 1800-1806
- Ames, Bright, Cave, Daniel, Ames & Daubeny 1806-1813
- Ames, Bright, Cave, Daniel, Ames & Ballard 1813-1820
- Ames, Bright, Cave, Daniel, Ames & Bright 1820
- Bright, Cave, Daniel, Ames & Bright 1820-1821
- Cave, Daniel & Ames 1821-1822
- Cave, Ames & Cave from 1822
- Sir C Cave, A History of Banking in Bristol from 1750 to 1899 (Bristol: privately published, 1899)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Cave, Ames & Cave have the reference code CAC.
- bill of exchange 1793