Caithness Banking Co
Receipt for money deposited at the Wick branch of Caithness Banking Co, 1820s © RBS 2016
Caithness Banking Co (1812-1825), established in Wick, was a past constituent of The Royal Bank of Scotland.
This private bank was established in Wick in 1812 by John MacLeay, his father William and his brothers Kenneth and Alexander, to provide banking facilities for local businessmen. It issued its own banknotes and, although it continued to operate on a modest scale, seems to have expanded far enough to have a branch in Thurso for a short time.
Its resources were diminished by the deaths of members of the MacLeay family, and by the nationwide banking crisis of 1825. In 1825 Caithness Banking Co was acquired by Commercial Bank of Scotland.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Caithness Banking Co have the reference code CA.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- deposit receipts 1823-1825
- correspondence re deposits 1823-1825
- deposit accounts schedule 1825