Bank of Whitehaven Ltd
£5 note of Bank of Whitehaven, 1905 © RBS 2016
Bank of Whitehaven (1837-1916) was a past constituent of NatWest.
This joint stock bank was established in Whitehaven in 1837. Later in 1837 it acquired the private bank of Hartleys & Co, also of Whitehaven. From the outset the bank issued its own notes.
The bank assumed limited liability in 1866, becoming Bank of Whitehaven Ltd. It was acquired by Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1916.
Branches: The bank opened 9 branches and sub-branches between 1837 and 1916. At the time of its acquisition in 1916, 5 branches and 4 sub-branches were operating.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Bank of Whitehaven have the reference code BWH.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 24KB).
- directors’ and general meeting minutes 1838-1910
- deed of settlement 1859
- deed of regulations 1866
- circular re capital increase 1866
- shareholder registers 1866-1903
- share transfer registers 1866-1916
- annual general meeting minutes 1867-1916
- dividend registers 1870-1915
- annual summary of shareholder books 1883-1897
- half-yearly reports 1899-1911
- register of directors and managers 1901-1908
- register of members c.1906-1916
- dividend warrant 1915
- amalgamation papers 1915-1927
- share certificate form n.d.
- monthly balance sheet books 1871-1915
- half-yearly summaries of promissory notes and bills in circulation 1873-1919
- general ledger 1884-1894
- deposit receipt 1868
- loans ledger, railway securities 1872-1911
- London drafts book 1915-1916
- salary book 1865-1917
- letter re clerk appointment 1914
- branch title deed 1906
- branch insurance policy 1909
- branch architectural drawing 1910
Note issue records
- banknote registers 1864-1927
- banknotes 1903-1910
- banker’s licence 1911