For RBS, supporting financial capability goes beyond delivering fair products and great service. It also means helping the customers of today and tomorrow to develop good money management skills, knowledge and behaviours, so they are empowered to make better financial decisions.
Supporting young people
- MoneySense is our flagship financial education programme, which has helped millions of young people learn about money for over 21 years. It is the only financial education programme to deliver learning to 5-18 year olds, both in the classroom and at home.
- The NatWest and Royal Bank of Scotland First Saver accounts, and the Ulster Bank UrFirst account, are designed to help young people learn to save.
- Career Kickstart helps students grow skills and get ready for life after school. It’s also a place for educators, with interactive lesson plans and up-to date news.
Products and services
- Our Community Protection Initiative in Scotland allows staff to raise concerns if they think a customer is at risk of financial harm. Community Protection Advisors liaise with outside agencies to work together to protect customers.
- We have banned teaser rates.
- We offer Act Now text alerts.
- There is free, impartial advice on the bank website, developed in partnership with the Money Advice Service.
- We opened 34 of our busiest branches on bank holidays in 2015.
Preventing financial difficulties
- Our Debt Management team offers pre-emptive support with direct transfers to the Business Debt Line, run by StepChange.
- We can give up to 30 days’ ‘breathing space’ for customers seeking money advice.
- We offer Basic bank accounts to help people who might otherwise be excluded from banking to access our services.
- Our New Specialist Support Team, who help customers in vulnerable situations, has had expert training from Samaritans and the Money Advice Trust.
Protecting customers’ money
- Our Secure Banking Promise is our commitment to our customers – we’ll refund any money taken out of a customer’s account by a fraudster, as long as they’ve kept their security information secret.
- We offer free Trusteer Rapport security software to help keep customers safe when they are banking online.
- We led the industry on issues like pay day brokers’ fees, blocking over £1 million hidden fee payments and free trials fraud, where we spoke up quickly to help protect our customers.
- We worked with Metropolitan Police on ‘Little Book of Big Scams’ on fraud and identity theft which is available in branches. For the first time in 2015 a new version aimed at SMEs was produced.