Full Year Results 2013
Today we are announcing our new strategy for the bank alongside our full year results. Read more on the announcement.
RBS reports a pre-tax loss for 2013 of £8,243 million, including regulatory and redress provisions of £3,844 million, and impairments and other losses of £4,823 million related to the establishment of RBS Capital Resolution (RCR).
Excluding the impact of the creation of RCR, RBS operating profit(1) was £2,520 million, down 15% from 2012:
Retail & Commercial down 4% to £4,078 million, with lower income in UK Corporate and International Banking offsetting improved impairments in Ulster Bank and UK Retail;
Markets down 58% to £638 million, reflecting smaller balance sheet and reduced risk levels; and Non-Core losses down 27% to £2,107 million, with the cost base falling in line with run-off.
RBS has today updated on its comprehensive business review, aimed at transforming the bank.
Building a bank that is trusted by its customers:
- RBS announces a refreshed strategic direction with the ambition of building a bank that earns its customers’ trust by serving them better than any other bank.
- RBS will be structured around the needs of its customers, with seven existing operating divisions realigned into three businesses: Personal & Business Banking, Commercial & Private Banking and Corporate & Institutional Banking.
- Ulster Bank in Northern Ireland will benefit from a closer integration with our personal, business and commercial banking franchises in Great Britain. We are continuing to explore further opportunities in the Republic of Ireland with a view to being a challenger to the systemic banks.
- To position RBS to deliver a sustainable overall return on tangible equity of 12% plus in the long term, we must achieve a significant reduction in costs and complexity.
- This simplification is intended to deliver significant improvements to services delivered to our customers while at the same time helping to bring our cost base down from £13.3 billion in 2013 to £8 billion in the medium term(2).
(1) Operating loss before tax, own credit adjustments, Payment Protection Insurance costs, Interest Rate Hedging Products redress and related costs, regulatory and legal actions, integration and restructuring costs, gain on redemption of own debt, write-down of goodwill, amortisation of purchased intangible assets, strategic disposals, bank levy, write-down of other intangible assets and RFS Holdings minority interest (‘operating profit’). Statutory operating loss before tax was £8,243 million for the year ended 31 December 2013.
(2) Includes the impact of business exits such as Citizens Financial Group and Williams & Glyn; bank levy; restructuring costs; and, from 2015, the EU resolution fund charge.
See te full Annual Results documentation on our Results Centre.
Conference call replays
Replays can be accessed two hours after the event. Replay facilities will be available until Wednesday 12 March 2014 (Thursday 27 March 2014 for the Strategic Review Presentation).
To listen to a replay, call the following numbers and use the appropriate access code from the list below:
UK free call dial: 0800 953 1533
International dial: +44 (0) 1452 550 000
Ireland free call dial: 1 800 931 692
USA free call dial: 1 866 247 4222
India free call dial: 1 800 300 089 80
Singapore free call dial: 8004 411 242
Hong Kong free call dial: 8009 013 93
Australia free call dial: 1 800 613 774
Wires Conference replay access number: 42386621
Investor Briefing replay access number: 42410909
Press Conference replay access number: 42463240
Strategic Review Presentation replay access number: 42523110
All news and opinion